Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

To all my fellow Mommas, hope you all have a bitchin' day for all the hard work you do!! You deserve it.

So beat right now, Bucko decided that sleeping was an option last night and only let me get 2hrs of sleep. Dh had 24hr duty until 9 this morning (such is the Army life), so I was on my own.
Bucko woke me up bright and early at 6.30 so we could watch Cars in bed until I was human enough to go downstairs to make breakfast.
I made Bob's Red Mill GF Scones and scrambled eggs. I needed something easy, I wasn't human yet (still not sure I'm fully there, either).


1-1/4 cups Gluten Free Sweet White Sorghum Flour
1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
1-1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
4 Tb Sugar
4 Tb Butter or Margarine, cut in 1/2 inch slices (keep cold) (I used Spectrum palm shortening)
2/3 cup Lowfat Plain Yogurt or 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1 large Egg
2 Tb Milk Sub for brushing on top
Nonstick Cooking Spray
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray, set aside.In food processor place flours, cream of tartar, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and sugar. Pulse on and off to combine the ingredients. Add cold butter and pulse about 15-20 times or until the mixture resembles coarse meal.Combine the lightly beaten egg and yogurt. Pour over the flour mixture and process for about 10 seconds or until dough forms large curds. Scrape the dough into a bowl. Quickly, but gently stir or fold in currants with a spatula.On baking sheet pat dough to 8” circle, 3/4” thick. Brush top with 2 tablespoons milk.Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges.

*Notes: I made cinnamon scones by adding cinnamon (half asleep I almost used cumin) to the flours, again I have no clue, I just dumped a few tsp in. I also have to bake it for 20min for the dough to be fully cooked or else the middle is still raw.

For the eggs, nothing special, just 2 eggs per person, cracked into a bowl, whisk in some salt and pepper and a splash of milk sub, heat some oil in the pan (coconut here), and scramble on medium heat.

I'm going to go curl back up on the couch and watch my DVR Wife Swap until the Monster Quest marathon comes on History Channel in 45mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment